Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Ghettoburger.

A few weeks ago a CBF/GA staff retreat found us in Atlanta, so we decided to stay a few days longer to enjoy some time in the city.  Carson and I thought and thought about what we could do during a free Saturday in Atlanta - maybe something a little touristy that we had yet to do or see.  Finally, it occurred to Carson: we had not yet experienced The Ghettoburger.

For those unfamiliar of such cuisine, The Ghettoburger is found on Memorial Drive at a small diner named "Ann's Snack Bar."  But more notably, it has been named by the Wall Street Journal as the best burger in America. 




The restaurant itself only has 8 barstools at the counter, so the wait time can be long.  As we walked up, we heard Miss Ann yell from the kitchen for two men to get out of the restaurant who were waiting for seats.  The four of us sat outside on the patio until we were summoned.  After about 30 minutes, Miss Ann walked out, called us over to take our orders, went back inside, and called is in a few minutes later.  We waited another 30 minutes for the burgers to cook and watched the magic happen.

The Ghettoburger itself is two quarter pounder patties, cheese, chili, bacon, lettuce, tomato, grilled onions, ketchup, mayo, and mustard, all on a toasted bun.   We opted for the combo, which included a full plate of fries.  As I took a bite of the glorious burger, I felt as if I were on an episode of Man vs. Food.  The meat was cooked to perfection, and the cheese had melted its way through the patties.  That day, food won as we both decided to eat only half the burger and saved the rest for lunch the next day.  The leftovers were just as good, and I can attest that it is the best burger I've ever had.



A few days later, I went to the doctor for a physical and bloodwork.  As I got my results back this week, my cholesterol was higher than normal and my doctor wanted to put me on Lipitor.  Never thinking I would hear those words as a 27 year old woman, I talked the nurse out of the prescription and vowed to change my diet and increase my exercise.   We'll know at my checkup in 8-12 weeks whether the Ghettoburger may have been to blame, but if I ever have one again, it will not be before a doctor's appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment